Thursday, June 18, 2009

Stop Night Class Cuts!

When I first heard that the National Government announced in the budget that they plan to cut 80% from adult community education and night classes funding I was appalled!
Mostly because I like taking night classes. I have taken two so far and can highly recommend it. Most recently Spanish for travellers and I once took a writing for media course.
At the moment I am thinking of enrolling for car maintenance and Japanese home cooking.
Where else could you go to learn these things, without paying a small fortune!

Many people rely on these courses to further their life and career skills. Not all are 'hobby' courses, we can also say goodbye to affordable small business management courses, first aid, ESOL, defensive driving, budgeting, organic gardening amongst other important skills. Most people, myself included, will not be able to afford to do these courses otherwise.
Continuing education in all its forms enriches not just individual's lives, but also communities and society as a whole.

So if you are as concerned I am, be sure to visit: Stop Night Class Cuts and take action!




1 comment:

Skitch said...

Sim city all over again aye! heh heh *reminds me of a time when i cut all ordances to pay for a new space station...* Yeah national are doing exactly what they do aye - lots of cuts for short term gains - then labour have to get back in there and start again.