Friday, August 7, 2009

Pechacha!

So I wanted to write about this yesterday while it was still fresh and buzzing me out (that's an old skool term!), but I ran out of time.


I went along to Pecha Kucha at Galatos on Wednesday night. What happens is there are between 8-14 speakers (this time the full 14) and they each have 20 slides and are allowed to talk for 20 seconds per slide so 20/20. Pecha Kucha (roughly translated to mean 'the sound of conversation') has become a world-wide phenomenon and is now happening in 221 cities, including 6 cities in Aotearoa! Which really is quite impressive.

The good thing about having 14 speakers is that you are bound to like something and if you don't it doesn't matter because they are finished in 6 minutes and 40 seconds. I could talk about all of them, but I won't cause that would be boring. But I will just mention some I think you guys will like.

Janet Lilo, an artist was talking about her recent residency in Japan. You can check out some of her work on YouTube. I also liked Stacy Childs, she has an online magazine called disco underworld. It has loads of cool music, art stuff, you know cool things. I am currently working my way through the back issues. Simon Oosterdijk talked about some cool projects he is involved including PiePaper. I thought the presentation given by Matthew Salapu Faiumu aka ANONYMOUZ was choice! You can see who the other speakers were here if you are interested. There's bound to be something you like!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So yeah nah yeah, I was doing a reading about "culture" By Susan Wright titled The politicization of 'culture' I wont bore you with it (though it was interesting), at the end she had a poem i thought you'd like. I think it uses the giraffe as a metaphor, maybe for culture or something???.. i have no idea. i always misinterpret poetry. You tell me. crazy-pave it!

HOW TO TRAP A GIRAFFE
i.m. Alfred Gell

Oppose the empty time of waiting
Against a sudden catastrophe.
Egg the giraffe on
To complete a jigsaw
When he comes like someone
Certain he's not drunk
To the homely vicinities
Of the negative giraffe you've dug.

Convince the giraffe he's alone
By communicating a deadly absence.
Use the distance
Between him and his water.
Crazy-pave a lake
So that any descending
Head will be broken.

See the giraffe as uprights
In a world of horizontals.
Employ the poised violence
Of dappled javelins,
Broomsticks, ladders
And tent-poles,
Then pull away the rug.

Get the giraffe to be honest
About what he loves,
Then parody it.
A shower of nets.
A tree of arrows.

Imagine you are a giraffe
And send yourself postcards
Homesick for the veldt,
Filled with wish-you-were-heres.
End with the one about
The man who slipped
Into his bed
And never came out.

Bon said...

Thanks Anonymous.
That is a really interesting poem. Am I right in thinking it has something to do with indoctrination into culture? I am struggling to think back to high school English class...