Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Belated highlights from the weekend

Kia ora!

I have been busy working this week. Even though it is only part-time (sorry to you real working people, who make me look slack) I am unaccustomed to how much time it takes up. And then I got struck down by my annual sinus infection. :( So that's why I haven't got around to updating this blogity, blog, blog.

So...I know it's now Thursday but the weekend just gone was so awesome! I am still reliving it now. Very indulgent and now I feel slightly lighter in the wallet area, although it made me happy, so what the hey!

Films and eating were the two concurrent themes (no surprises from me really) of the weekend. But there was also friends, birthdays, babies and children to entertain us as well.
Food highlights included:
  • A chocolate birthday cake (not mine, but BTW mine was sooo good)
  • A soysage dog with fries from Frankie's Wurstbude (they have the best aioli too)
  • MP's mash and veg
  • Coffee and orange almond cake at Mezze
  • A fantastic quiche, followed by chilli chocolate
So many treats, all so bad for me!

I went to 2 more films in the festival (4 in total). I don't seem to be able to do more than four, maybe because I have the attention span of a midge.
Saturday was the 'world premiere' of Land of the Long White Cloud.
You could watch some bits on Youtube or you could lobby your local theatre to screen it. Which is probably a better option.

After the screening the 'cast' and crew got up and talked. It's a real treat to watch a film with the contributors in the audience. Everyone laughed and talked when they saw people they knew.
Anyway, the movie is lovely. Funny, amusing, and thoughtful. The scenery is stunning and the people are choice! The only not so great thing was I think they rushed with editing a bit (3 weeks!) and it showed.

The other movie I saw was Visual Acoustic which I mentioned last week. As a lover of modernism, and a person who LOVES to look at other peoples houses, it would have been a crime for me to miss it. And happily I can report it did not disappoint at all, not in any way. The film was incredibly well-made, the subject was fascinating and well explained. The houses were so drawl worthy. I was in heaven! And it is narrated by Dustin Hoffman, who has a really relaxing calming, steady voice.

So I am now planning a holiday in Palm Springs, so I can fully nerd it out and spend all day swooning over Modernist architecture and taking photos of amazing buildings.

And I would stay in this hotel (Source)


And maybe take a tour of some of the houses (source: Shulman photo from Taschen).

And as a memento I would buy this Taschen book set:



Source: Taschen

All this luxury living has left me feeling incredibly thankful for the things I get to do in my life.


4 comments:

Dad Burger said...

Definitely missed your blogging, Boonie. Good to have you back.

Bon said...

Thanks I am pleased to be back and full of ideas :)

Em said...

I saw the trailer for Land of the Long White Cloud on www.flicks.co.nz - really made me miss home.

Bon said...

Yeah I was going to put a link to that but I forgot. It made me like Aotearoa NZ a lot.
We sure do live in a super country... 80% of the time anyway.