Friday, July 17, 2009

What I'm learnt this week while watching daytime TV

Source: Flickr

So I have spent nearly a whole week in front of TV. It's about all I can manage at the moment and when I try and leave I end up back there.
I have a few things to report from my experience:
  • You cannot watch TV all day, for many reasons, but mostly because boredom and frustration set in
  • Oprah's still good, but maybe not an every day programme
  • You could watch Good Morning every day, it's not so bad (or is that just the medication talking?)
  • You cannot makeover a whole house in 60 minutes and do a good job (what a silly idea for a programme)
  • At some stage Te Karere had a makeover, and it is looking good
  • By 7pm you cannot face another minute of TV, so the whole relaxing mindless evening in front of TV is redundant
  • You know you are 'growing up' when you decide current affairs programmes are more interesting than Shortland Street
  • We should probably get Sky
  • I wish they had Māori Television on during the day, cause they have some good shows
  • And finally, it's much easier to get through a whole day on the couch, by not just watching TV, but also with books, magazines and DVDs!
I also noticed there is a lot of 'news' on TV these days, it's in the morning, during the morning, there are constant ad break updates, then at lunch time, the afternoon, the evening and late at night. And they repeat the same stories over and over again. It's quite a sad state of affairs when you have to use cheap news to fill in programming time. Sigh.
On the plus side... well sort of... it does mean I got to hear about these stories:
  • The great chocolate war. Actually I read it in the paper first, but then I saw it on Close Up. Personally I try to avoid chocolate in bar form these days. But if I was to chose I would have to say I am a Whittaker's lover
  • The gay penguins at the San Fransisco Zoo, who would you turn gay/straight for???
On a sadder note, I also heard an update on the story about Tiki Hunia who was shot in Jamaica last week. Now I didn't make the connection at the time, but I actually met him once and he was a good friend of my good friend. Like me, he was raised in the Bay of Plenty. His whanau are trying to get him home for his tangi as we speak. And if you want to help bring him home, go to your local Westpac branch and make a donation.







5 comments:

Skitch said...

Happy Birthday Bonnie! - not really related to couch tv watching action though. but hope you are getting about a bit more and having a good day :) - You didnt comment on doctor phill - man that guys show is a piece these days - talk about trying to be exactly like oprah! I thought he was suposed to help people? heh heh. bye

Skitch said...

piece as is piece of shit. heh.

Bon said...

Nothing good can come of watching Dr Phil, I avoid it all costs!

Bon said...

Nothing good can come of watching Dr Phil, I avoid it all costs!

Bon said...

Ooops it left the same comment twice!