Monday, December 21, 2009

End of year thanks to: the library



I have to thank APL (that's what people in the know call Auckland City Libraries - apparently) for keeping me entertained this year. For forgiving me when I was irresponsible with their library materials and for their courtesy reminders that were intended to help me return my books on time. Also for the renewal service which was handy when I didn't get those books back in time and for helping me to fix the security in my browser so no one could steal my library details.

Long Live the Public Library!
And I love, love, love their online Advent calendar. There are some cute kitty images that someone I know might like :)

Auckland City Libraries have this great function on their site where you can view your reading history. It would seem that aside from a smattering of Marie Claire, World of Interiors, Belle, Vogue, Australia Home Beautiful, Instyle and the odd Bust on Monocle (both hard to come by) magazine I did manage to read several books this year!

So if you are looking for summer reading here are the highlights that I gleaned from my reading list.

Fiction:

Jasper Jones, Craig Silvey - because Jasper was on our list of names for our children
One that I would highly recommend to anyone. It won prizes people!

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, Maggie O'Farrell - a wee bit tragic, about a women who wrongfully ends up spending her life in an mental asylum

The Birth House, Ami McKay - A book about old school midwifery in Nova Scotia. Fascinating, probably more for us Lady folk.

Sing Them Home, Stephanie Kallos - It included a character called Bonnie who was a 'self-proclaimed archivist'.

The Memory Keepers Daughter, Kim Edwards. - Not sure why I hadn't read it sooner.

As the Earth Turns Silver which I talked about here.

Non-fiction:

The World Without Us, Alan Weisman - I just really like this book.



Summer reading:
Well I am currently reading Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides, which at this rate will take me to January!
Not sure what I'll be next, anyone have any ideas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have enjoyed your beautiful words and pictures this year.

HL